Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Showered with Blessings

It is difficult for me to explain the feelings of gratefulness that overwhelm the bride at her wedding shower. The incredible generosity of my friends, family, and relatives is unfathomable. And I thought birthdays were fun!! I never could have foreseen the beauty of the day, given the nervous wreck I became about an hour before the party started.

In the beginning, I made the horrible mistake of putting "regrets only" on the 100+ invitations that were sent out. I didn't want my maid of honor (a busy girl in her own right) to be bombarded with calls, but it caused a good deal of stress as people didn't call.....and didn't call....and didn't call! Even people who I knew for a fact wouldn't come (out of state, etc) didn't call. The result was a crazy guessing game to figure out how many people would show up. Brides beware!

We finally decided on a realistic number and began setting up the somewhat cozy fellowship hall at my church. That afternoon people started trickling in one by one, and some large groups. At one point I left the room to be interviewed for a nice form of the newlywed game, and when I came back the room was packed, with even more coming in! The gift table overflowed. People were joyful as they reunited with old friends over an even more joyful union. My fiance and I made our way around the room saying our hello's to our friends old and new.

I heard a count at one point of 76 women, but I'm sure that including the bridal party and coordinators, there were at least 85-90. We had enough food, yay! We also had enough tables and chairs (barely!), and the Lord took care of everything that we could not foresee. I was absolutely overwhelmed!

But the real shocking thing was how people's love and support manifested itself in the incredible gifts. My fiance and I are so grateful for the things to start our new home with! I went home and cried for the generosity that was shown, the sacrifices people made, and the grace of God in our lives that brought us to this point.

People kept asking me throughout the day, "what are you feeling?" I had no real answer for them! How could I describe the love I felt? There are no words adequate to describe that thankfulness. It hit me again the day after, when Mr. Robinson and I were going through and packing up/organizing everything, and again when we wrote some of the thank-you notes. We are still trying to track down the extra envelopes for mailed in gifts!

If you were there, you saw the love and fellowship, and this is my way of describing "what I'm feeling" for those who asked. Thank-you so much for your friendship and support as we start our new life. Mr and I are praying blessings on you all. Our wedding shower was an absolutely unforgettable experience!

Sincerely,
~Lady Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment