Monday, March 18, 2013

Blessed Assurance

There are certain things that you don't expect to deal with two months before you get married. Even during these days I am incredibly grateful that my present situation does not determine my ultimate hope. The past few days have presented several trials, some of which are not yet resolved. Although the nature of the trial is not the point of this post, I will at least give a brief overview. To start, I think that many couples have experienced the loss of a vehicle. My fiance and I happened to lose both of ours in one weekend due to no fault of our own. Mine was parked when a drunk driver crashed into it (I was not in the vehicle), and his engine died the next day. The combined damages totaled over $15,000. Obviously not exactly an ideal situation. My car is being taken care of by the driver's insurance company, but the truck was dead. We are in the process of replacing it, and are having a rather hard time with the companies and paperwork involved. Prayer is appreciated on that front!

Nevertheless, in the midst of utter chaos, I am reminded that the things that happen do occur for a reason. Although the ultimate outcome of this situation is yet to be revealed, I am grateful that I can trust God with the whole thing. Matthew 6:25-34 states:

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

 How I need to hear these verses! I am far too concerned in general with what is currently happening, especially when I feel helpless to do anything about it. When I heard my car being crushed outside my window, I had a meltdown. My reaction shows a serious need for growth. Upon later reflection, I realized that I valued my car, transportation, convenience, and certainty in uncertain perishable things too much. It is unwise to place so much weight on stuff. I am reminded of the phrase, "You can't take it with you." Oh, the truth of that statement. Let me just kindly suggest that it is an expensive lesson to learn...

Despite its trivial nature, I cried over that car. I am ashamed to admit it. However, a reconsideration of what is important was necessary for me to reorient myself before I got married, and this situation provided the perfect opportunity for that reorientation. I ought not scorn an opportunity to learn and grow, although my first reaction is to recoil. Reminded of its helplessness, the heart cries out in terror... We don't like being out of control. I especially don't like being out of control! Yet, relationships are often like that, and they will have to endure the pressure of situations like this one. It is how we learn to rely on and trust each other. 

The truth of the matter is this: In every aspect of our lives, we are ultimately not the determiner of our situation, or its outcome. But it is our responsibility to plan, prepare and react properly to the plan of God in our lives in order to bring Him glory in the joys and trials that come. The book of James puts it this way:


“Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." James 4:13-15

And Proverbs 16:9 reminds us: "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps."

Even more importantly, the Lord has chosen to interrupt our plans in the salvation from the sins we previously loved! As the old hymn states, "Christ has regarded my helpless estate, and hath shed His own blood for my soul." (It Is Well With My Soul - Spafford 1873) With this knowledge, how can the "little things" (even when they seem big) continue to plague me? If the care of my soul is truly entrusted to "Him who judges justly," (1 Peter 2:23) and if he has "even the hairs of (my) head all numbered" (Luke 12:7), then can I not trust him with a car? or two? Ultimately, my hope is in this good God, and I can go away singing:

Blessèd assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Blessed Assurance by Fanny Crosby 1873

~Lady Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment