Friday, April 26, 2013

The Bible and Homosexuality - A Christian Understanding



Of all the hot button topics currently being discussed in the United States and Europe, one of the most contentious is homosexuality. It is an extremely complicated topic, especially when discussing the cultural implications. Biblically too, there are many arguments about homosexuality. Some of them are ridiculous arguments by biblically and historically ignorant individuals about “a woman and her rapist” (See http://www.gotquestions.org/Deuteronomy-22-28-29-marry-rapist.html), polygamy (http://www.gotquestions.org/polygamy.html) and a variety of other objections designed to negate arguments against homosexuality by Christians. I hope that the articles I have linked will provide at least a cursory understanding of those other passages, because I simply do not have the time to discuss all of them here.

Nevertheless, the existence of these things does not in any way nullify the plain fact that the Bible condemns homosexuality in both the Old and New Testaments.

OLD TESTAMENT:

“You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination.” Leviticus 18:22

“If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.” Leviticus 20:13

NEW TESTAMENT:

“Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason, God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.” Romans 1:24-27

“Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I would like to make a distinction between the Old and New Testaments here. The Old Testament, especially the Levitical laws that I am cited above, were specifically for the nation of Israel, at a specific time. There are many sins leading to the death penalty cited in the Old Testament for which the punishment in the New Testament time is emphatically not death. Of course, there is always the larger understanding that death in general is a consequence of sin, and in that sense, the punishment for sin is always death, regardless of the sin (Romans 6:23). We can have a longer discussion about the various portions of the Old Testament – moral law, civil law, etc. at another time. However, my point is that Christians ought not go around promoting the death of the sexually immoral, because that is no longer how these things are handled by God in the New Testament. The last citation in 1 Corinthians ought to make this clear in that “such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” v. 11 If Christians were supposed to put to death those who are engaged in that lifestyle then those who have been forgiven in the Corinthians passage would not exist!

Moving forward then…As Christians, if we believe that Scripture really is the Word of God, we cannot say to homosexuals that what they are doing is ok. To do that is to deny on its face the crystal clear teaching of the Bible. Also, it is a terrible witness! It may be easier to cave to the culture in accepting homosexuality (and a myriad of other sins), but what does that say about what we believe? It is malleable, moldable… to sum up: It Isn’t True. If we don’t even believe in what we claim to believe (The Bible), then how can we possibly expect to be a good witness to those around us?

We do not respect politicians or leaders in other spheres of our lives who flip flop on issues. Why should people in the world respect us and our positions if we do not stand firm on our convictions? The Bible puts it this way: “Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.” Ephesians 4:14

Alright, we have done two things so far. 1) We have determined that homosexuality is a sin. 2) We have established that our convictions must be firm when it comes to our position as Christians on homosexuality (and every other sin!). Now we must decide what we ought to do about it. How do you handle situations in your life where you must interact with homosexuals? They may be close friends, family, coworkers or classmates.

First of all, every individual is different. I will not ever prescribe a one-size-fits all approach to anything. However, I will provide you with a singular goal in whatever you do: Do it all for the glory of God. In other words, develop a relationship with them to such a degree as they know that you are genuine and care about them. If the topic of homosexuality comes up, let them know where you stand – using the Bible (you can of course bring it up too). This will more than likely include you telling them that their lifestyle is sinful, so prepare yourself for that in advance. The relationship may dissolve because you took a stand. Do not be afraid. Always, speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). However, recognize that “This is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.” (John 3:19) As Christians, we are commanded to, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” (Mark 16:15) This also means to those we know who are caught up in a homosexual lifestyle.

If the response is not good, remember that Jesus said “If the world hates you, know that it hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: “A servant is not greater than his master.” If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.” (John 15:18-20) But if someone you are talking to repents and turns to Christ, rejoice that you have a new brother/sister in the Lord and point them in the direction of a good, Bible-believing church where they can be taught and grow.

Always remember when you are talking to homosexuals in your life that “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” Their sin is not unique, or more sinful then other sins in your own life. Homosexuality is not a special sin! Also, it is a sin that can be overcome through the power of God.

This leads to the next obvious issue: are their people who struggle with homosexuality in the church? Yes, just like there are those who struggle with lying and committing adultery and thievery, etc in the church. Does that mean that we ought to allow a continued lifestyle of homosexuality? No. No more than we allow serial adulterers, liars, etc to maintain good standing in the church. If someone is caught up in a sinful lifestyle in the church, then church discipline is to be enacted on them, and if they refuse to repent, they are to be removed from the fellowship, and treated like an unbeliever. The purpose of this discipline is to encourage repentance and a restoration to fellowship with the body of Christ. Nevertheless, even if the person is removed from fellowship, it simply means that we do what we would presumably do with every other nonbeliever….witness to them! We don’t ostracize, make fun of, or treat poorly, those who are in a sinful lifestyle.  We do tell them that what they are doing is sinful according to Scripture, and give them the gospel and pray for them in the hopes that the Holy Spirit will enliven their hearts and give them faith and repentance leading to salvation. This is the ultimately hope for every sinner – and it is the hope of every Christian – that our sins have been forgiven in Christ if we are his children, and some day we will struggle with sin no more when we join him in ultimate resurrection.

I hope this post will help equip you to better deal with the culture at large and the issue of homosexuality as a Christian. I understand that I only scratched the surface of this topic, and did not talk about the issue of “gay marriage” at all. I am hoping to write a new post about that soon, so stay tuned. Suffice it to say for now that I tend to believe that it is not within the realm of the government to condone marriage at all, so regardless of what the Supreme Court decides in the coming weeks, I do not base my definition of marriage on the government anyway. Enough of that though...it’s a topic for a later time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below. I am considering setting up a separate e-mail account for this blog so that private conversations can be had, but I haven’t done it yet. If your comments contain vulgarity or derogatory language, I will not allow them to be posted, as everything is filtered before it is allowed to be seen in the comments section. I am saying this only because this topic is so emotional, not to be insulting to my readers. Thank-you for taking the time to read!

Sincerely,
~Lady Robinson

12 comments:

  1. Great info. On of my followers on Facebook shared this with me as I post allot about sensitive subjects such as this. Thanks for being bold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not forget the Providence of love.(?!)What the Father has bestowed on mankind.Jn3:16.
    The question is;
    1. "How many of us realize that We are all sinners and we need salvation"
    2.A total surrendering(to God),and a complete repentance.
    3.Do we really cling to Jesus and his wounds,when we stumble - down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I view the hot button topic of homosexuality as a distraction from the enemy. Somehow it has gained this platform as the sin that shouldn't really be a sin because it involves love on their side and hate on ours. The perception is that we hate homosexuals and do not want them anywhere near our beloved churches.

    The problems in the world do not stem from any one sin but from all sin. If we exclude people from the body just because they sin. If that were the case then none of us would go hear the preacher speak... and in reality even the preacher wouldn't be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This only leads to the persecution of homosexuals. Why should they be subject to discrimination by followers of Christ?

    In the church, they are seen and treated differently than say, someone who stole or someone who committed adultery.

    It's an ultimate scapegoat for a lot of Christians. Blame someone else for what is going wrong in the world.

    I have done much debating on the side of God,and I wear his armor everyday, but I will always question this ancient writing especially when it means harm to fellow human beings.

    We pray for their salvation, and they pray that we show less ignorance.

    Please educate yourself on homosexuality before you even speak on the topic as I have gone out of my way to educate myself about the bible.

    I'm not saying I'm gay, but the bible also says slavery is ok, and surely you must disagree to this?

    You need not pray for them, as you are no better than they are. God will do the judging. Christians need not.

    One last note... Your writing is very eloquent and easy to understand. This is a very hot issue right now, and I have much respect for you about standing up for what you believe in. I will be looking forward to seeing more, as most of the other issues, I can see myself agreeing with you on. Peace be with you : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, thank-you for your comment!

      First of all, I want to respond with a point of agreement. Homosexuality should not be treated as "special" by the Christian community. My reason for writing is not to pick on them, but to address the larger cultural issue at hand. Homosexuals ought not be looked down on by Christians. They ought not be the scapegoat, and I would condemn those who would twist my words in order to label them as such. Ultimately what is wrong with the world is sin - this is why Jesus came.

      As a Christian, I believe that sin ought to be dealt with in the church on all levels. On a side note, I have educated myself on homosexuality, and have homosexual friends, and have found that it is oftentimes destructive physically to men especially who practice it. However, I didn't focus on this for my post because my ultimate authority for these things is the Bible, not medicine necessarily...

      At this point I will interject that I would like to do a separate post on slavery and the Bible, but I can't really do that topic justice in a couple sentences. I just want you to know that I am not ignoring your objection.

      With regard to the love that homosexuals have for each other, I do not deny their affirmation of love. How can I argue against or deny something that I do not feel? But my argument against homosexuality is not on the basis of feelings. The Bible clearly says that people love - truly love- their sin. (John 3:19) I do not deny their feelings, because they are indeed real. That does not imply that they are right however. As I said before, this is no different then any other sin.

      Lastly, I pray for people not because I am better then them, but because I love them and desire for them to be delivered from their sin - in the exact way that I pray for myself to be delivered from sin in my own life.

      Thank-you for taking the time to read my blog and I hope you will continue to do so in the future.

      God bless you
      ~Lady Robinson

      Delete
    2. I realize now, that my first comment came off pretty rude and snarky. I apologize for this. Telling you to do research on homosexuality only showed my ignorance, as I know not of what you know.

      Let me introduce myself a little further.I am a blog author as well, on less controversial subjects such as the hobby of sports card collecting. I am also a husband and father of two little ones.

      I am a follower of Christ, but as you can tell, I struggle with issues in the bible.

      You see, my life changed forever almost immediately after I started believing in Christ. Before christ, I was in an abyss of self loathing, substance abuse and straight hate for the world.

      My first born is a stroke and cancer survivor and he is not even 4 years old yet. His spirit is so divine that I could no longer deny god's existence.

      My son didn't ask for these things but alas they happened.

      A homosexual never asked to be homosexual either, but alas there are millions.

      Why is this such a huge issue with Christians? And what do your homosexual friends think? Are they supposed to live their lives in shame because they are who they are?


      I say I struggle with the bible because I'm also a realist, and that there are things in there that are either incorrect or share similarities with mythological lore.

      My wife is on the far other side of the debate and she thinks of God in the same way she thinks of Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. She knows they are not real but a child-like mind will believe whatever you tell them to believe, especially if it's in black and white.

      I'm not trying to be a pain in your butt here and I hope that I am not coming off as offensive. My intention is only to get a better understanding and I think you are a very excellent writer.

      I'm sure you will be met with much worse opposition (althought I don't really oppose you all that much) than I, being that the internet is a very tough place.

      Again, thanks and I look forward to reading more.

      Delete
    3. Haha... Well first of all you are not being a pain in the slightest! I appreciate the back-and-forth a lot actually.

      You sound like you have quite an interesting story, and I am so sorry about the struggles your son has endured. My fiance has a disabled sister (cerebral palsy) and so I can empathize with your situation in a small way.

      As far as what my friends think... I am sure they aren't happy about my position, but I treat them the same way I treat everyone else, so I think they can at least respect me for that. I practice what I preach in that sense (treating them well).

      As far as being born a homosexual is concerned - I do actually believe that it happens, unlike the position many Christians take. On the other hand, I also believe it can be a result of environmental factors such as upbringing. But regardless of the underlying reasons for them having that particular sexual preference, they still find themselves in that situation. What should we do about it as Christians, if anything?

      Well, I've already established from a Biblical perspective that homosexuality is a sin. More importantly though, something that is really vital to understand is that we are all born sinful. Whether or not that manifests itself as homosexuality is really not the point ultimately. I am ashamed of my sin when I commit it, and that is because of the conscience God has given to every person. Part of the judgment of God is when the conscience becomes seared (read Romans 1 for more about that). Although shame is not fun, and can be emotionally painful, it is not necessarily a bad thing, as it can lead to sanctification. For example, when I feel bad about...say...lying, and I am ashamed, it causes me to not lie as much.

      Can homosexuals change their behavior? Can they change their sexual preference? I do believe it is possible. I would encourage you to listen to this testimony from Rosario Butterfield about her conversion to Christianity and her change from a Lesbian to a Heterosexual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_YI6INTQU

      Does this happen for everyone? No. Some people struggle with homosexuality and many other sins their entire life. Even the Apostle Paul had a "thorn in the flesh" which was not taken from him, even when he asked (2 Corinthians 12:7). Yet, Jesus told his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24). It is not just homosexuals who must deny themselves in order to live godly lives and follow Christ.

      Every Christian has to deny themselves every single day - it is part of the process. But Jesus also gives hope when he says "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30). And 2 Corinthians 4:17 states "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison"

      In the end, every person on earth, with their myriad of struggles has to decide to deny themselves the temporary pleasures of sin and follow Christ. He took our sins when he was crucified, and paid the penalty for them before God. It is possible to put the sins away and follow him - to repent and turn to God in faith. This is what I am advocating for every person, not just the homosexual.

      Delete
    4. One last note: I would encourage you to continue your study of the Bible, especially with regard to those parts you find to be incorrect. I do not have all the answers, but I think you will find that there are many excellent resources that can explain the answers to some of your questions. I have listed some apologetic resources that have helped me a lot below.

      For questions about Genesis/creation, dig a little on this website: http://www.answersingenesis.org/

      For questions about homosexuality, other religions and various cultural issues, try Ravi Zacharias at http://www.rzim.org/ and this introductory video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CIw6ngIqaD0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCIw6ngIqaD0

      Other good ministries that can answer various Biblical, Theolgical, and Doctrinal questions are Desiring God Ministries ( http://www.desiringgod.org/ ), Grace to You (http://www.gty.org/ ), Ligonier Ministries ( http://www.ligonier.org/ ), and Alpha and Omega Ministries ( http://www.aomin.org/ ). I hope this will help answer more of your questions!

      God Bless you and your family,
      ~Lady Robinson

      Delete
  5. Those are some interesting resources. I still do not believe that homosexuality is bad overall. And I do not think they should be ashamed or feel guilty because someone else said that it's bad.

    And it pushes me even further away from the bible because it makes it extremely difficult for me to discriminate in such a way. If I was a complete follower of the bible, then I would condone a behavior that I don't feel is right.

    It's a form of elitism to say that your way is right and others ways are wrong.

    You do have all the answers, and when you don't you can simply refer to the bible because you have put complete faith and trust in it. There is nothing wrong with that in my view, but there are many secular humanists and atheists out there that think that teaching the bible to children is harmful to a young mind.

    I'm not sure how you feel about Richard Dawkins but denying his brilliance in his argument against religion would be down right stupid.


    If you would have been born in India, you would have been a Hindu or a Buddist and your blog would be about Ganesh and not the Judeo-Christian God.

    It's a constant struggle in my mind, and it's causing much stress being in the middle.

    I can't deny the existence of a higher power, however I can't be sure as to who is right about this power. I have accumulated quite a bit of evidence for god. And I feel ashamed for even questioning the teachings in the bible. But why should I? If I never knew the bible existed, I wouldn't be having these petty quibbles in my mind.

    Another struggle of mine is this: I prayed and prayed for our son to make it through and beat the cancer. My prayers were seemingly answered. However, these prayers would not have been answered if not for great scientific minds that simply scoff at the idea of any kind of ultimate god or master.

    There are real people out there, making real sacrifices for the betterment of humanity that would have nothing to do with the bible. And according to the bible these people cannot experience the kingdom of heaven. I refuse to believe that God does not have a place for those who do not believe in Jesus Christ or for those who have never heard of him.

    When I sit down and read the bible, I automatically start getting this good feeling. But then when I read something that I deem absolutely ridiculous and silly then I get mad and put it down and think I'm to smart to get sucked into all the nonsense.

    Thanks for listening and thank you for the resources. You are actually helping me a lot more than you think : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ultimately I would encourage you to determine what your final standard for right and wrong is. If it is your own sensibilities and your own mind, then you would be correct to say that "It's a form of elitism to say that your way is right and others ways are wrong." If the highest standard of truth is the individual and what that individual feels, then nothing can be considered wrong by anyone. Everything goes.... I really don't see any way around it.

      If we can cherry-pick what we want to believe from the Bible, then we do not believe that the Bible is truly the Word of God. If it is really God's word, then it ought to be treated as such. If it isn't, then it's just a nice book of sayings mixed with some historical facts and shouldn't be used for more than moralistic teaching (but the morality would really have no authority or basis beyond what we feel is correct, which again leads to the earlier problem of moral relativism).

      There are many intelligent, morally upstanding people in this world who disagree with the Bible. Richard Dawkins and those like him are extremely intelligent, and I would not deny his (or their) intelligence. However, there are people on both sides of the argument who are Ph.D's, etc. My philosophy tends to be that if you believe something - you can find a very intelligent Ph.D to support that theory. It's true for nearly everything. That's not to completely discount what any of them are saying, but ultimately you have to examine the presuppositions you hold to. If you are determined that Genesis is false or the resurrection of Jesus didn't happen, then you will go looking for support for that theory, and that goes for the other side too. But that is really a side note to this entire discussion....

      To sign off and wrap up this conversation, I would encourage you to continue your studies, and I believe they will be fruitful. Determine where truth comes from, God or Man, and that will help immensely. I wish you the best!

      Sincerely
      ~Lady Robinson

      Delete
  6. Hello Lady Robinson,

    The dialogue between the two of you is truly inspiring! I have enjoyed reading the point counter-point and want to Thank you for expressing the Love of Christ in such a meaningful and selfless way.

    I also want to Thank Mr. Chase for the honesty he conveyed in his approach of what, I'm sure, most young Americans today think - How can a loving God be displeased with Love?

    Keep witnessing and telling the truth as the bible explains it.


    Eric Ebron (also blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed this post very much as have I enjoyed the conversation between you and Mr. Chase. To the topic, I would simply say, I agree. Sin is Sin, no matter, they are all punishable by death. No Christian should ever condemn anyone, it is not our place to do that, it is as you said our place to proclaim the love of God to all and as I have said many times to others, give them the truth and then allow the Holy Spirit to do the rest. God's word does not go out void. To Mr. Chase, I can empathize with your situation and your position on the Bible, for I have been there as have many other Christians. But I can also tell you from experience that when you read the Bible and it makes you feel good, then suddenly you read something that makes you mad enough to put it down and walk away, that is Satan. Satan will do whatever he has to do to get you out of the word and back on his side. He may be working overtime on you because he may know something that you don't. Perhaps there is a special calling on your life that you have not acknowledged yet and he is trying to deter you from that by keeping you confused and away from the true living word of God. I can tell you that confusion is not from God. I would suggest that you annoint with oil the location where you generally have your devotion time and ask that God bless that area specifically for your time with Him, personally, I anoint my home often, doors, windows and each every room in my house and ask God to bless our home and prevent uninvited entry through any avenue from Satan or his demons. Try to keep reading when you get to a point where it makes you mad, just keep reading til you are not mad anymore and while you are reading, respond to God for each an every verse, look at them, is there a promise you can claim, is there a word just for you, try this and see if your devotions don't get better and you will hear from God and truly feel His presence. My prayers are with all of you in your family and may God grant your son healing and a long life. I pray that you will find the answers that you need and if not, that you will just simply choose to believe and let your faith carry you through. Thank you Lady Robinson for this post. It is the first time I have read one of your posts, but I can promise you it will not be the last. Be Blessed

    ReplyDelete